PSY 501 – spring 2014
Dr. Anderson
Current topic 4 – cognitive development
Due 6 April

For this assignment you are to prepare for a debate. The topic is “To introduce basic concepts of algebra in the third grade”. You may take either a pro or a con side to this.

Remember that this is a debate – that means you must pick one side and stick to it.

It also means that your argument MUST be fact based. So you can say something like “I support introducing algebra in the third grade because Herb’s (2012) research demonstrated that……” However, you may not say “I support introducing algebra in the third grade because I believe students at that age are capable of…” or “…. Because my child can…..”

Don’t forget to cite your sources in the text and provide a reference section.

I am including links to two PDFs that should get you started. Also, don’t forget that this is a unit on cognitive development – so you must include some sort of nod to those theorists (think Piaget) in your position paper.

Your paper may actually represent your beliefs, or you may choose to take the opposing side as an intellectual exercise. Please include a note at the bottom to let me know if this is really your position – just curious!

Early acceleration of students in mathematics:

Arithmetic and algebra in early mathematics education