- What is White privilege? white
privilege (hwait 'privilidz), social relation, [ad. L. privilegi-um
a bill or law in favor of or against an individual.]
1. a. A right, advantage, or immunity granted to or enjoyed
by the class of white persons beyond the common advantage of all
others; an exemption in many particular cases from certain burdens
b. In extended sense: A special advantage or benefit of white
persons; with ideological reference to divine dispensations, natural
advantages, gifts of fortune, genetic endowments, social relations,
- 2. A privileged position; the possession of an advantage white
persons enjoy over non-whites and white individuals enjoy over
- 3. a. The special right or immunity attaching to white persons
as a social relation; prerogative.
- b. display of white privilege, a social expression of a white
person or persons demanding to be treated as a member or members
of the socially privileged class.
- 4. a. v. trans. To invest white persons with a privilege or
privileges; to grant to white persons a particular right or
immunity; to benefit or favor specially white persons; to invest
white persons with special honorable distinctions.
- b. refl. To avail oneself of a privilege owing to one as a
- 5. To authorize, license of white person or persons what
is otherwise (for non-white person or persons) forbidden or
wrong; to justify, excuse.
6. To give to white persons special freedom or immunity from
some liability or burden to which non-white persons are subject;
For more - reading resources, news and analysis - visit The
Monkey Fist Collective