The year 1863 from the diary of Alonzo Clapp

Thursday, Jan. 1, 1863 - Camp near Fredericksburgh, Va. Our regiment was detailed today to cut poles for corduroy. We started early and went about 3 miles to near White Oak Church and cut a fine lot of poles.

Monday, Jan. 12, 1863 - Received orders last evening about 10 o'clock to go with part of the company at 5-1/2 o'clock this morning with two days rations on fatique duty. We started in time with 180 of the 122nd and about 100 of the 23rd P(ennsylvania) V(olunteers). The ground was frozen hard and they (the Belle Plain Lower Landing 9 our destination) not more than one fourth the detail had kept up. At about 1 ½ PM we went to work at making corduroy up hill on a new road. The boys did not work very hard.

Tuesday, Jan. 13, 1863 - Worked all day. The 23rd P.V. got drunk on their rations & what they stole and had a row.

Wednesday, Jan. 14, 1863 - Worked on the road again. The 23rd P.V. was tight this morning and were sent home. We went home at night. Business is lively at the landing.

Friday, Jan. 16, 1863 - Received orders to be ready to march at an early hour tomorrow morning. The weather is cold. The marching orders are countermanded to be ready.

Saturday, Jan. 17, 1863 - Cold, very cold. We policed the camp and got everythinkg ready for a general inspection.

Sunday, Jan. 18, 1863 - We had company inspection.

Monday, Jan. 19, 1863 - Cold. Received orders to move tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock AM with three days cooked rations.

Tuesday, Jan. 20, 1863 - The Army of the Rapahannock moved. It was not known at Brigade or Division HQ at one hour before we started where we are going. The ground was frozen and we moved easily. We took a course that did not expose our movement to the rebs. At about 5 PM we bivouacked in woods, and it soon began to rain and it rained hard all night and we turned out at 4-1/2 in the morning, got breakfast and formed ready to move. We moved slowly all the AM in a cold, heavy rain & a deep mud. About noon We came near the river and the intended crossing place, but were obliged to move because we were in range of a battery. We stopped for the night crowded on a steep side hill within a mile of the river. It was the hardest day we have seen. Pontoons, cannons, casions (sic) & army wagons were fast in the mud and upset all along the way. Everybody and everything is completely wet through. I was officer of the guard & had four prisoners in charge & had a hard night.

Thursday, Jan. 22, 1863 - Continued to rain all day. We got ready to move once, but the order was countermanded & we staid in the same place all night. Rations began to get out & there is no forage to be had. Every effort is made to get the pontoons in position. The enemy is posted oposite us in considerable force. Some of their batteries are plainly seen. There is much ______(breaks off here). Our men are tired, wet & much exposed. It is impossible to move pontoons or heavy guns. Everything looks discouraging.

Friday, Jan. 23, 1863 - Were ready to move at 6 AM. Moved out in a field in view of, and in direct range of a rebel battery. Several companies of our regiment were detailed to help (a) battery through the mud. Our(s) was so detailed and got the battery through about noon and were sent to camp. We stopped at Pettit's battery. They have been out and have just returned. We got into camp about 5PM with about 20 men as tired and worn as any ever were. Thousands curse Burnside. I think the move was well planned & but for the weather would have been successful.

Saturday, Jan. 24, 1863 - Men come in all day. We think that Andrew Longworthy had deserted. Men are fixing up their tents and cursing Burnside.

Sunday, Jan. 25, 1863 - Company inspection. I do not feel well.

Monday, Jan. 26, 1863 - We had a general inspection at 12-½ PM. We learn that Gen'l Burnside has resigned & Franklin & Sumner also, & Hooker has command of the Army of the Potomac.

Tuesday, Jan. 27, 1863 - Rained most of the day. A General Inspection was ordered for today but the storm prevented.

Wednesday, Jan. 28, 1863 - This morning the ground was covered with snow and it snowed hard all day and night. This has been the worst day of the season. A very windy cold snowy day. I spent most of the day in Drs. (John O.) Slocum & (Edwin A.) Knapp's tent. I have no arrangements for fire in mine.

Thursday, Jan. 29, 1863 - Pleasant but cold. The snow went off slowly. Our boys drew the snow from the street.

Friday, Jan. 30, 1863 - Pleasant. The snow melts some. Searg't Glass and I built a fireplace to my tent and spent the evening comfortably in my tent.

Sunday, Feb. 1, 1863 - A pleasant day. An Officer of the Guard. The Paynmaster came and I was obliged to put on an extra guard.

Monday, Feb. 3, 1863 - Cold. The regiment was paid off for two months & (a) fraction. I took a check for two hundred payable to R. Lawrence Paren (?), and shall send it to him. The night was very cold.

Tuesday, Feb. 3, 1863 - A very cold day & night. I was detailed to command a detail to work on the ovens, but it was so cold & stormy that we were obliged to quit.
(One of the reforms Hooker brought about was to ensure fresh bread by building ovens and detailing permanent cooks for company messes).

Wednesday, Feb. 4, 1863 - The Ambulance Corps moved and I got some wood. Went with the detail to work on the ovens. Completed the second.

Thursday, Feb. 5, 1863 - A rainy, unpleasant day. Lt. Cossitt (Davis Cossitt) was officer of the Guard, and Benjamin Sanders, a prisoner, escaped & he with his two brothers deserted.

Friday, Feb. 6, 1863 - Lt. Cossitt was put under arrest because a prisoner escaped from the guard.

Saturday, Feb. 7, 1863 - Rather pleasant. Serg't J.S. Smith started this morning for home. (Hooker restored morale and slowed desertions by authorizing more furloughs enabling homesick and war - weary men to get home for brief visits). Friend Shumway a pipe made(e) here of Sauril(?) root from this camp.

Sunday, Feb. 8, 1863 - A pleasant day. I have command of the company today. Had inspection. Gave A.J. Mansfield & John Talmadge passes to go to Pettit's battery.

Monday, Feb. 9, 1863 - Pleasant. I drilled the Co. in the manual of arms for the first time in several weeks. Captain (Lucius) Moses of CO. F. and Lieut. (Charles G.) Neye's (Nye) of CO. B. resignations came in. Capt. Moses is in Washington. Lieut. Neye has command of Co. B and has had nearly all the time since we came out.

Tuesday, Feb. 10, 1863 - A fine day. I am Officer of the Day for the first time. Worked the delinquents hard. Lieut. Nye started for home. He has been an efficient, good officer and all are sorry to part with him. He is a loss to the Reg't. (This was probably on eof the many cases where the Captain commanding a company would shirk his duty by going off to Washington or other nearby City and leave the work of the company upon some Lieut. The Captain through political influence might get a promotion but the Lieutenant doing all the work would be passed over for some other influential Liutenant. Finally, in disgust, the good officer would resign the service. This often happened in the higher ranks, also. This was one of the things wrong with the Army of the Potomac).

Wednesday, Feb. 11, 1863 - Rainy & unpleasant. Am not feeling well today. Head colds, chills, etc. all day & night.

Thursday, Feb. 12, 1863 - Lay abed most of the day. Have a severe attack of the diarhea.

Friday, Feb. 13, 1863 - Am not able to do anything.

Saturday, Feb. 14, 1863 - Am off duty.

Sunday, Feb. 15, 1863 - Feel some better today, but not well.

Monday, Feb. 16, 1863 - A beautiful day. Ball playing is enjoyed in by many, both officers and men. The seg'ts commenced building a good large tent. Our Qr. Mr. does not amount to much. We have expected 10 wedge tents for the regiment but am disappointed through his inefficiency. Every other regiment in the Brigade has them. (The regiment's Quartermaster at this time was Frank Lester).

Tuesday, February 17, 1863 - All were surprised this morning to find the ground covered with snow. There were no visible signs of a storm last evening. Today, it snowed hard all day. The snow is very heavy.

Wednesday, Feb. 18, 1863 - Am not feeling well yet.

Thursday, Feb. 19, 1863 - Commenced a new tent.

Friday, Feb. 20, 1863 - A strong wind. J.M. Clark "Junius" came here. Worked at my tent all day. Felt better than for some time.

Saturday, Feb. 21, 1863 - Finished my tent. Was Officer of the Guard, & it was a very stormy night.

Sunday, Feb. 22, 1863 - The snow fell all day and is more then a foot deep. Mr. Clark staid with me. This is colder weather than I expected in the sunny south.

Tuesday, Feb. 24, 1863 - Capt's (Lucius) Moses, C(ornell) Crysler, and (Webster R.) Chamberlain have resigned and their papers returned this evening. Wm. Coover(?), Henry Smith & James M.Sheffield were discharged for disability.

Wednesday, Feb. 25, 1863 - A pleasant day. The snow goes fast. Worked at the muster rolls.

Thursday, Feb. 26, 1863 - A very rainy day. Went out with a fatigue party of 50 men & worked on the road.

Friday, Feb. 27, 1863 - A warm, spring - like day. Gen'l John Cochrane has resigned.

Sunday, March 1, 1863 - A rainy day. Went on picket down to the river opposite to our battlefield. It was very stormy getting there. I had a hard time getting my men into Mr. Pollack's barn. He is said to be a rank Secessionist. He owns what was once a beautiful & valuable plantation of 1,700 acres and last spring had a large number of slaves. Now his farm is entirely stripped of fences, stock, etc., and has but few slaves left. The country is beautiful along the river & his land has been valuable. I went to where the pontoons were laid & had a fair view of the left of the battlefield. The rebel pickets are much thicker than usual, and there is only the river between the two lines. There seems to be no ill feeling between the pickets. Was up most of the night.

Monday, March 2, 1863 - Moved from Pollack's barn back to Dr. Morison's Overseer's house, & we relieved from there. Dr. Morrison has 1,200 acres of beautiful land. He had 60 slaves last fall & now has but six. He has a fine residence. There are many rebel pickets stationed opposite his house. No communication is allowed between the pickets of the two armies, but they continue to keep up a sort of traffic and to exchange papers occasionaly. We can see a number of their camps by the aid of a glass.

Tuesday, March 3, 1863 - Stormed a little and was rather cold. Had charge of the picket today & during the night. It seems strange to (see) the men of the opposing armies so near and yet show not the least disposition to injure each other.

Wednesday, Mar. 4, 1863 - Cold and windy. We were relieved about noon & returned to camp where we found everything quiet. PM had an inspection of ammunition.

Thursday, March 5, 1863 - Pleasant. Had a general inspection.

Friday, March 6, 1863 - Got ready for an inspection of the camp by General Newton. We got our street up in good order & put out cedars around my tent & the Capt's & in the Co. Street. Serg't Dennis Murphy got a furlough.

Saturday, March 7, 1863 - Rainy part of the day. I am Officer of the Guard. Am oblige(d) to force them up to time. Dennis Murphy started for home. While visiting the Guard about 11 PM, I found W. Ashfield, then on post over then Headquarters horses, lying fast asleep. I took his gun and carried it away & when I returned, he roused up.

Sunday, March 8, 1863 - Rainy part of the day. Had inspection of the company. Dr. (John O.) Slocum started for home.
This morning, I reported to Col. (Silas) Titus the circumstances of finding W. Ashfield asleep last night. He asked who it was & wanted to know if I had let any one know it, and said, "why he is Burt's brother-in-law. We cannot punish him." And such is the way in which this reg. Is managed.

Monday, March 9, 1863 - The boys commenced moving or rather putting up new tents.

Tuesday, March 10, 1863 - Rainy. 190 of our men went out on picket. Dr. Wells & Wilson went. (Herbert S. Wells & Martin L. Wilson)

Wednesday, March 11, 1863 - Rained all night but was pleasant through the day. Heard some heavy guns toward the right.

Thursday, March 12, 1863 - Cold, raw day. Snowed some. Went to Gen. Newton's Hd. Qr. And saw the prisoners. They are a dirty set. Saw at H. Qr. a veritable lady. One of northern style & appearance. It did me good all over. Am much disappointed at not receiving an expected letter from a very dear friend.

Saturday, March 14, 1863 - Inspection, Am and Brigade Drill, PM. This is the first Brigade drill that the regiment has ever had and we did well.

Sunday, March 15, 1863 - A cold, unpleasant day. I inspected the company.

Monday, March 16, 1863 - Had Brigade drill and I had command of the company.

Tuesday, March 17, 1863 - Had Brigade drill and I had command of the division.

Wednesday, March 18, 1863 - Company drill, AM & Brigade drill, PM. I had command in both drills.

Friday, March 20, 1863 - A snowy, cold, unpleasant day, & I am officer of the Guard & we have new orders. I keep the guard at the guard house day & night and arrested 11 men for committing nuisances in front. Had battalion drill.

Saturday, March 21, 1863 - Was officer of the Guard. Capt. (Frank) Lester paid me a very unexpected compliment. He told me that I have the name of doing my duty the best of any man in the regiment. Went to Capt's (Frank) Lester's and (Joseph S.) Smith's tent by invitation to a reading entertainment. Got in late but was much pleased.

Sunday, March 22, 1863 - Cold and unpleasant. Capt. (Jabes M.) Brower & Mike Donovan started from home. I am in command of the company. Had inspection & distributed 40 rounds of new cartridges & took up the old ones.

Monday, March 23, 1863 - Had brigade drill.

(Map of picket)

Friday, March 27, 1863 - Had an inspection at 11 AM.

Saturday, March 28, 1863 - Rainy! Rainy! Went on picket to the Rappahanock & as usual took a very roundabout course. Samuel Stevens of our CO. died.

Sunday, March 29, 1863 - Cool & pleasant. Spent part of the day on the river. The rebs sent over several small boats with tobacco, etc., one the "Louisiana Tiger", a swell rigged schooner brought over a lot of letters to be mailed, but Col. Titus must take them.

Monday, March 30, 1863 - A beautiful day. AM on duty. A stormy night. It rained & snowed all night.

Tuesday March 31, 1863 - Rainy AM & we were not relieve till 2 PM

Thursday, April 2, 1863 - Were reviewed by Gen. Sedgwick, Commander of this (6th) Corps. Gen. Sedgwick is a fine looking man. Lt. Wells started for home.

Friday, April 3, 1863 - Pleasant. The division was reviewed by Gen Hooker.

Saturday, April 4, 1863 - Very windy. Drilled AM & PM.

Sunday, April 5, 1863 - Stormy. AM Officer of the Guard.

Monday, April 6, 1863 - Had a thorugh inspection by Capt. Truesdell.

Tuesday, April 7, 1863 - Pleasant. Were ordered to be ready at 8 AM for a review by Pres. Lincoln. Just before 8, the order was countermanded. Drilled.

Wednesday, April 8, 1863 - Cold. Our Corps (the 6) was reviewed by Pries. Lincoln. He also reviewed several other Corps. Amounting to 80,000 men. Our review was a fine affair.

Thursday, April 9, 1863 - Cold. Drilled. The Corps was visited by Gen's Sedgwick and Newton.

Friday, April 10, 1863 - Pleasant. There was a special muster of all the troops of the Army. Warm and spring like.

Saturday, April 11, 1863 - Drilled AM & PM and was reviewed by a Prussion Maj. Gen. He rode like the wind. We are drilled too much for the comfort of the men. Warm.

Sunday, April 12, 1863 - A fine day. Rained a little in the night.

Monday, April 13, 1863 - Cool. Took the company out on target practice.

Tuesday, April 14, 1863 - Received orders to be ready by night to move with 8 days rations & to turn in all extra clothing. It was a busy day. It is known that General Stoneman went to our right with a strong cavalry force yesterday. Were ordered in the evening to go on picket at 6 in the morning. It rained most of the night.

Wednesday, April 15, 1863 - Rained hard alld ay. Started at 6 AM for picket, and oh! How it rained. The men had 8 days rations to carry. Went to the Pollack house.

Thursday, April 16, 1863 - Pleasant. The river is very high. I visited the line of pickets after 12 at night. Saw Mrs. Pollack in the window cooking. She said that she was just learning to do kitchen work. They had near a hundred slaves & have but one left. The whole of this beautiful 1500 acre farm is a waste.

Friday, April 17, 1863 - Pleasant. The rebs are plenty opposite and jolly, but we are forbidden to communicate. Made the acquaintance of Dr. Morrison and found him a gentleman and pleasant. Visited the old Washington farm, the homestead where George cut the favorite cherry tree. Everything is in ruins. Saw Fredericksburg.

Saturday, April 18, 1863 - A lovely day. We were relieved at 10 AM and went into camp. PM, my friend, Otis Bigelow, Dr. Slocum & myself rode to the front opposite Fredericksburg and down along the picket lines and back to camp.

Sunday, April 19, 1863 - A fine day. Friend Bigelow is staying with me. We attended church at Brigade H. Qrs.

Monday, April 20, 1863 - Rainy. Otis Bigelow, Jr. Esq. Left camp this morning after a visit of a few days. Peach and Cherry trees are in blossom. The season is very backward. Said to be 4 weeks later than usual.

Tuesday, April 21, 1863 - Pleasant and cold. AM Officer of the Guard.

Wednesday, April 22, 1863 - Cool and pleasant. Had inspection, AM. Battalion drill, PM. We are getting some favorable new. From the vicinity of Suffolk. Have a renewal of orders to be ready to move with 8 days rations.

Thursday, April 23, 1863 - Rainy. Rainy.

Friday, April 24, 1863 - A rainy day.

Saturday, April 25, 1863 - A fine day.

Sunday, April 26, 1863 - A beautiful day. There is a heavy movement of troops up toward the right. Received orders to be ready to move early in themorning with eight days rations.

Monday, April 27, 1863 - A beautiful day. There is a heavy movement of troops up toward the right. Received orders to be ready to move early in the morning with eight days rations.

Tuesday, April 28, 1863 - A rainy day. Broke camp and started on march at 2 o'clock PM. Went to Gen. Hooker's HdQrs and took a roundabout course to the river where we crossed last Dec. The Pontoons got stuck in the mud and Co. A & F worked hard getting them through. About 11-1/2 PM, the train was halted something more than a mile from the river. The boats were unloaded and carried or hauled to the river. We launched our boat early and thus finished a hard days work. We fell back toward the road and rested. I slept soundly till the firing in the morning without any covering.

Wednesday, April 29, 1863 - Cloudy & foggy. At daylight, Gen. Pratt's light division crossed in pontoon boats. They were fired at and but 2 or 3 killed and 4 or 5 wounded. Our men advanced and the rebs fell back and left their rifle pits. Bridges were thrown across at two places below and lost quite a number of men doing it. They took over 200 rebel prisoners. We lay on Pollack's farm all day.

Thursday, April 30, 1863 - Lay still all day. There was not much firing till just at night when the artillery had a sharp engagement on the left. We learn that the 5th, 11th and 12th Corps have been very successful during the last three days and are driving them back. (this was Sedgwick's feint at Fredericksburg, designed to hold most of Lee army there, while Hooker defeated Longstreet's corps at Chancellorsville. Hooker, after getting in a good position and with his army driving the rebs, halted. Sedgwick, as can be seen by Alonzo Clapp's diary entries for today and the next day, did not push too energetically at Fredericksburg. Lee left a small force at Fredericksburg and took most of the rebel force at Fredericksburg up to Chancellorsville and whipped a befuddled Hooker and then returned with most of his force to maul Sedgwick. The single thing gained by this battle by the North was the death of Stonewall Jackson, Shot by his won men in a mix up during the fighting.)

Friday, May 1, 1863 - A fine day. All quiet here, but there is heavy firing on the right and we can see the smoke distinctly. There was considerable movement of rebel troops to our right. It is suspected to be for effect. Just at night several brigades of our men got in motion and displayed themselves until dark and then moved around until about 10-1/2.

Saturday, May 2, 1863 - The fight opened on the right, early and is very near. We started about 6-1/2 AM and before we got to the old mill, the rebels opened a battery that opened on us last Dec. - right smartly.
We marched by littles till about 12 when we started on a reconnoisance toward Fredericksburg. The Chasseures went ahead as skirmishers and our regiment headed the column. We moved cautiously to & through Fredericksburg and to the very spot where the Irish Brigade charged and lost so many men last Dec. Our regiment was formed in the front rank. The order was countermanded and after standing for half an hour in position, we fell back to the R.R.

Sunday, May 3, 1863 - A fine day. During the night, we crossed the river at Pollack's and went to Fredericksburg and after we fell back to the R.R., troops came up rapidly and everything was ready for a charge up the height. Soon after 10, our guns opened and gave the heights a severe shelling. Then the order was given to charge. Up the slope they went, many falling by the way. They reached the stone wall. Over they went an dup the rebs went. They scaled the 2nd wall as easily, up the hill and into the works and it was done. Daringly and nobly, gallantly, and in a few minutes the glorious old flag was waving from several of the rebels strongest holds, and their garrisons were prisoners. We then advanced rapidly on the main road for about 3 miles, capturing the enemies pickets, when opposite Bank's Ford we were checked with great loss.

Monday, May 4, 1863 - Cloudy. Last night we were sent forward to the right in the angle of the woods where the 10(th) Mass(achusetts) lost so many men, and were ordered to charge through the woods and drive them all out at all hazards. The rest of the line formed so slowly that it was dark before we were ready and we fell back about 50 yards across the ravine, and re3amined on the outer line during the night. I suffered with the cold having neither coat or blanket. This morning we were relieved and went to the support of a battery. Thing looked doubtful. The heights of Fred'g were retaken, our left turned, the advance checked. The day opened by a strong attack on our left. Most of the day was spent in disposing of our forces so as to hold our position. At dusk we were drawn back toward the river and formed in several lines of battle. There were two bridges and they commenced to recross. At about 1 in the morning I went to the upper bridge with the Co. to do provost duty.

Tuesday, May 5, 1863 - Rained in the night. This morning, while doing provost duty at the upper bridge, the shot and shell cam down thick and fast. One piece went through the bridge at my feet. But few stragglers came back. We found the regiment after being relieved and went above the bridge to prevent any fording by the enemy & were severely shelled in that position. At daylight we went back a short distance and camped in the woods. I slept an hour. The first since part of Friday night. The rebs got our range and threw shells into camp occasionally all day. At night it rained hard . We learn that Gen'l Hooker has been driven back with great loss by the combined Confederate forces.

Wednesday, May 6, 1863 - Rainy. Rained hard in the evening. Slept till 10 AM and then the reg't got ready to move and went and carried part of the Pontoon bridge up the hill from the river and loaded them. Then went back to the same muddy bivouack from which we started. The river is much swollen.
The army is much disappointed, but still in good spirits.

Thursday, May 7, 1863 - A wet morning and we are in a great mudhole. I learn that this Corps (the6th) has lost 35 per cent of its entire force during the Sunday & Monday fighting.
Lay in the wood all day. Our Corps has lost more severely than any other,

Friday, May 8, 1863 - Started in the morning towards Falmouth, and went into the woods about a mile of the old camp and laid out a very pleasant camp.

Saturday, May 9, 1863 - Policed the camp.

Sunday, Mary 10, 1863 - A beautiful day. Had inspection and were ordered to prepare three days cooked rations and keep them at hand and be ready to move at any time with 8 days cooked rations. The first Corps is near us. (written in a different hand) "Stonewall" Jackson died of wounds received at Chancellorsville on the 2nd inst.

Monday, May 11, 1863 - Worked at policing camp. Warm. Wm. Elder died (at) Mower Hospital, Philadelphia.

Tuesday, May 12, 1863 - Very warm. The camp was laid out and H. Qr moved.

Wednesday, May 13, 1863 - Warm. The regiment went on picket.

Friday, May 15, 1863 - Cool and pleasant. Am Officer of the Guard.

Saturday, May 16, 1863 - Pleasant. Carrington and others started for home.

Sunday, May 17, 1863 - A most lovely day. This seems most like Sunday of any day since I came into the army. Commenced having dress parade at 8 PM.

Monday, May 18, 1863 - A fine day. The division was reviewed by Gen. Sedgewick and the regiment was inspected by Capt. North. Camp was inspect(ed by) Gen. Sedgwick & Col. Shaler, com'g Brigade.

Tuesday, May 19, 1863 - Pleasant. Was Officer of the Day.

Wednesday, May 20, 1863 - Warm & pleasant. Drilled.

Thursday, May 21, 1863 - A lovely day. Am in command of the company.

(No further entries until May 27, 1863, when he reports that he started for home. After a brief visit to Baldwinsville and Syracuse, he went to Kalamazoo on business regarding a farm he had bought on a mortgage just before the war. He records that there is a good chance that he may lose the farm. Then several day's entries are erased and he returns to Washington Via Pittsburgh.)

Saturday, June 6, 1863 - Arrived at Washington at 5:30 PM. Went to the theatre in the evening.

Sunday, June 7, 1863 - Left Washington in the morning and ofund that the 6th Corps had moved. Found the 122nd across the Rappahanock and under orders to go to the front on picket at 4 PM. Went with them and was up all night. I commanded the right of our picket and line and a trying place.

Monday, June 8, 1863 - Cool & pleasant. Were relieved from picket at 6 Am and lay near the upper Bernard place till evening when we went forward to the new rifle pits and rested for the night. During last night our forces made strong rifle works from the upper to the lower Bernard houses. The rebels have used only small arms yet. They have not made a reply to our artillery.

Tuesday, June 9, 1863 - Pleasant & cool. We were moved up to the rifle pits on the right with our right on Deep Run. Today 11 sharpshooters from a Mass. Co. went to the front and gave some of the rebs a final discharge. The rebels have been picket firing for three days and our pickets have not replied till today.
Works for three batteries are being made in the line of works on this side.
Just before night, the rebs opened fire form heavy guns on the hills, the first of their cannon firing.

Wednesday, June 10, 1863 - Pleasant. We are still in the rear of the rifle pits in the front line.
Sharpshooters have been very busy on both sides, and both sides have suffered. Our company lies in range of the fire and we have had many narrow, escapes. Lt. (Martin J.) Wilson was wounded on the patella or knee pan this PM while sitting by the Capt's side near the CO.

Thursday, June 11, 1863 - Pleasant. Lay in the rear of the rifle pits till evening when a part of the regiment went on picket. I went to the right with 40 men and we were closely watched during the night by the rebs. They can get close to us in the wheat without being seen.

Friday, June 12, 1863 - Pleasant. We were not relieved this morning as was expected but were obliged to remain till near 8 PM. It was a hard 20 hours duty for all as the intensest vigilence was necessary to prevent the possibility of surprise.
I got no sleep. Had the most exposed and weakest place on the whole line. The sharpshooters on both sides have done sharp work all day. It is not safe for any of our men to show their heads above the pits or wheat. I was fired at three times in the PM and had loud calls. We were relieved about 7-1/2.

Saturday, June 13, 1863 - Rained hard in the evening. Those of the regiment that did not go on picket night before last went last night and were relieved in the evening while it was raining hard. Only half the usual force was out on picket and about 11 PM. The (army began) recrossing (the Rappahannock) for the third time. We were the next to the last regiment across. The picket on the right was taken off in pontoon boats. The rebs knew nothing of the move till it was accomplished. Cardill disobeyed my positive and repeated orders to him not to use his gun to make a tent. We went up on the hill from the river and were halted and lay there till about 3 in the morning.

Sunday, June 14, 1863 - Pleasant. Started about 3-1/2 AM and started slowly as is usual and marched to Stafford C.H. We found every(thing) either in motion or ready to move, or to be burned. It was rather a hard days work for the first marching.

Monday, June 15, 1863 - Very warm, The jail at Stafford C.H. was burned during the night. Started at 2 Am and marched till nearly 8 (AM) before having an opportunity to make coffee. Then moved till about noon and halted for dinner. Then went to Dumfries and bivouacked for the night. The day was very warm and some men fell from the effects of sun stroke. Mitchell Zoelner of our Co. fell and was left behind. Sutlers suffer terribly. Some batteries try to run into their wagons and break them and then troops help themselves, so that several have lost all they had on the road. Some of their wagons are burned and others are not. There are large quantities of ammunition left along the road, mostly artillery ammunition, and quite a good many Government wagons are broken or upset and left. Some are burned and some are left.

Tuesday, June 16, 1863 - Very warm. Left Dumfries early in the morning and marched more judiciously than on the two preceding days, and reached Fairfax Station before night and bivouacked for the night about a mile from the station.
Many were overcome by the excessive heat. The dust is intolerable.
I failed suddenly in the PM from the effect of heat and dust. It affected me severely. I was very sick for a time. I threw away everything but my sword (and at one time thought (I would) break and leave that) and arrived in camp soon after the regiment.
Sutlers suffer today and we see a good many army wagon lying along the road. A good many of the boys found and captured horses.

Wednesday, June 17, 1863 - A very warm day. Lay at Fairfax Station all day and rested. The rest was very much needed. I did not get up & was not able to get around any. My head still feels bad. I fear that I shall not get over that soon. An order came in for all the boys to turn in their horses.

Thursday, June 18, 1863 - Warm. Rained towards evening. Left Fairfax Station about 6 Am and moved to Fairfax C.H. I made out to walk a short distance and Maj. Davis let me ride his horse and he walked. I found it hard work to move.
About 80 rebel prisoners taken yesterday near Aldie passed us this PM on their way to Fairfax Sta. And a long train of ambulances with our wounded. The fight was cavalry on our part. (These were probably some of Buffords's Cavalry that was fighting dismounted at every mountain pass, preventing the rebels from discovering what Uniion troops were behind them and forcing the rebels into revealing their troops in their attempt to win the passes.)

Friday, June 19, 1863 - The rain had done much good. Lay at Fairfax C.H. all day. Received orders (in the) PM to be ready to move at any moment. I am getting some better of my heat of Tuesday. Rumors are conflicting and there seems to be no reliable information about the locality of Lee's army. It snow seems that there is no certainty that any large portion of it is in Maryland or Pa.

Saturday, June 20, 1863 - Cool. Nothing exciting, but we're ready to move anytime.
About 40 rebel prisoners passed this PM, amongst them a Lt. Col. And several line officers. One of them said to our men, "you will catch hell yet."

Sunday, June 21, 1863 - Lay at Fairfax Station.

Monday, June 22, 1863 - Still lay at Fairfax Station

Tuesday, June 23, 1863 - Remain at Fairfax Station.

Wednesday, June 24, 1863 - Marched to Centerville and camped just outside of the earthworks.

Thursday, June 25, 1863 - Abercrombie's Division has been doing garrison and picket duty here since January last and they leave today and all understand that we are here to relieve them and everything indicates that that is the case. Our pack mules are ordered turned in and there is considerable interest felt as to our location, whether we are to remain here or go to Chantilly or to Union. The second Brigade went into camp here. At night, our regiment went out most to Blackburn's Ford on picket. The 111th N.Y.V. took down their "A" and wall tents and they, with many other stores, were stored in the old church. Centerville is the most forsaken looking place I ever saw.

Friday, June 26, 1863 - Rained all last night and most of the day. Received orders form Gen. Shaler at daylight to report to him at C(enter)ville immediately. Hastened in and found the church containing the stores of the brigade that left here yesterday in flames. Also many of the Government stores sharing the same fate and all the troops ready to move. We started in the same fate and all the troops ready to move. We started in the direction of Edwards Ferry and after a hard days march reached Drainsville and bivouacked for the night. I am completely tired out. Am yet suffering from the effects of sunstroke.

Saturday, June 27, 1863 - Cloudy. Started at 4 AM & marched to Edward's Ferry by noon and stopped near Poolsville for the night.

Sunday, June 28, 1863 - Started early and passed through Poolsville at the foot and to the right of Sugar Loaf mountain through Barnesville, supposing that we were to go to Frederick. The orders were changed and we went to the right and camped about 4 miles from New Market. The march was a hard one.

Monday, June 29, 1863 - Started early and passed through New Market; followed the Baltimore pike to Ridge Ville; then towards Westminster and stopped for the night after dark near Jews(?)burgh. The orders as to destination have been changed twice today.

Tuesday, June 30, 1863 - Rainy. Left Jewsburgh 8-1/2 and stopped for dinner at Westminster having made 9 miles. The rebs left here at 8 this morning. They went out at the west end as our cavalry went into the east. The force was variously estimated and consisted of cavalry and mounted infantry. Marched to near Manchester and camped in the woods. The rebs are in the vicinity. (These were Jeb Stuart's cavalry trying to rejoin Lee's army after a raid which left Lee without a mobile scouting force and which left him "blind" during the early part of the Gettysburg campaign).

Wednesday, July 1, 1863 - Rainy. Lay in the woods near Manchester till evening when we started about 9 for Westminster and where we arrived about 3 in the morning.

Thursday, July 2, 1863 - Were on the road all night and kept going with only short rests and reached Gettysburg about 3 PM.
As soon as the 6th Corps came up, the fight opened. The rebs tried to turn our left about 6 PM. Our division went to the front in the direction of the heaviest firing. The 5th Corps lost heavily.

Friday, July 3, 1863 - The rebs crowded our extreme right early this morning and we (our brigade) was moved from our position towards the left to the crowded point and our regiment was sent in to relieve the 111th P(ennsylvania) V(olunteers), then engaged in breastworks. The regiment went in with a will and in such a manner that we soon made the rebel fire slacken. When we had fired nearly 60 rounds the prisoners began to come in and we took some 80 or 90. The right wing relieved the left and we held the position for nearly 3 hours when we were relieved.
About this time the rebels made a desperate attack on our center in order to break our line and get through on the Baltimore Pike. We started for the center under a terrible artillery fir but were not needed. The rebs were defeated on this attempt with terrible loss in killed, wounded, and prisoners. Picket's division made the charge. It is said that the rebels opened with 110 cannon at once.

Saturday, July 4, 1863 - Rainy part of the day. No fighting except by pickets and sharpshooters. There is some cannonading in the distance. We did not move during the day, but were all the time under arms. I worked hard a large part of the day in trying to make the wounded rebels comfortable and a more thankful set of men I never saw. Their suffering is intense. Our wounded were cared for first and the rebels were not all got off from the field during the day. I went to the front and tried to give some of their wounded men water, but their sharpshooters shot at me a good many times and I left. Our batteries were roughly handled yesterday.

Sunday, July 5, 1863 - Started from our place on the field and moved to the south of Gettysburg about 5 miles to near Fairfield and camped for the night.

Monday, July 6, 1863 - Rainy. Lay still most of the day and started towards night and marched through (Fairfield) and Emmettsburg and camped near.

Tuesday, July 7, 1863 - Marched from Emmettsburg through Cohocton Furnace, Lewistown, and to the top of the Cohocton Mountain and stopped at Highland about 10pm having marched in the heavy rain since dark. Up a steep, narrow, stony, rough mountain road and stopped at Hamburg on the mountain.

Wednesday, July 8, 1863 - A very rainy morning. Marched from the summit (Hamburg) down an easy grade, with a beautiful scenery in front, to Middletown and camped for the rest of the day and night and got rations which were short from last evening to this. Our cavalry had a short fight to hold the south mountain gap.

Thursday, July 9,1863 - I got bread of these ladies and had a pleasant visit with them.
Alice A. Pringle
Boonsboro, Washington County, Md.
Caroline C Pringle
Boonsboro, Washington Co. Md.
Marched from Middletown through south mountain pass on a good Pike, 8 miles to Boonsboro. And went to the front in line of battle in support of a battery. There was a "right smart" cavalry and flying artillery fight 2 or 3 miles in our front late at night. The rebs are in force between here and W(illia)msport & Hagerstown & there is a fair prospect of a fight tomorrow.

Friday, July 10, 1863 - Pleasant & warm. Marched from Boonsboro on the Hagerstown Pike about 5 miles and went into line of battle near the front on ground occupied by the rebs this morning. There was a brisk skirmishing and some spirited cavalry firing during the day. Serg't Trowbridge tried to force himself by me when I was stationed at a well. My sword being rusted-in saved his head.

Saturday, July 11, 1863 - Pleasant. Lay near Frankstown all day. The 8th Corps arrived and troops were taking position and advancing most of the day. But few guns were fired. It seems as though we must have a battle tomorrow.

Sunday, July 12, 1863 - Very warm. Our men gained possession of Frankstown and Hagerstown after some handsome fighting done mostly by the cavalry. About noon we went to the front about a mile from Frankstown. Our brigade is in front. I worked on a line of breastworks all night.

Monday, July 13, 1863 - A rainy-day. Worked part of the day on the breastworks. We have cut down part of the timber in our front and seem to be clearing the ship generally for action. I went to Hagerstown just at night, but did not ride around much. It is a pretty looking town.

Tuesday, July 14, 1863 - Pleasant. A reconnoissance in force was ordered this morning at a n early hour to discover the enemies line of battle & discover whether he was disposed to fight and to engage him if thought advisable. (very aggressive orders!) His line of works was found deserted and our forces pushed on and found that they had finished avasing (evacuating?) Williamsport at 7 this AM. Gen. Kilpatrick pushed to Falling Waters 4 miles below and by the assistance of some infantry captured 700 prisoners after a sharp fight.
Williamsport is the worst looking place that I ever saw. The stores and some private homes are gutted. The streets have been used as a barnyard and are very filthy and muddy. Cattle have been killed in the streets and the offal left. The people are glad to see our soldiers.

Wednesday, July 15, 1863 - Staid at W(illiams)port last night. Left early, our regiment leading the brigade and division. We made a forced march to Boonsboro by noon and encamped for the night. Charles Cornell went to find Major Davis. Our men are very much depressed at the escape of Lee's army.

Thursday, July 16, 1863 - Warm. Started soon after 4 Am and made another inhuman march through south Mountain pass to near Berlin and our men were very tired when we stopped about noon for the day.

Friday, July 17, 1863 - Rainy. Staid near Berlin and drew clothes. I am not feeling well. Am making payrolls.

Saturday, July 18, 1863 - Pleasant. Staid at Berlin. Do not feel well.

Sunday, July 19, 1863 - Very warm. Left Berlin. Crossed on the pontoon bridge and marched 9 miles form Berlin making a march of about 12 miles. There are two bridges. We were ordered to march at 5 AM. Time was changed to 7 and we started and had no time to eat till after 4 PM. At the end of the march. It is too hard. Gen. Wright's barn was burned. He is a strong secessionist.

Monday, July 20, 1863 - Marched form Wheatland through Penelville to within a few miles of Union.

Tuesday, July 21, 1863 - Warm. Did not march. I went towards the mountains and got into a bitter cecession (sic) neighborhood and had rather spicy time.

Wednesday, July 22, 1863 - Warm. Marched at 1 PM. Passed through Union & stopped near Upperville.
Col. Titus, Cap't's Browers & Lester, Serg't Smith & others started for home to take charge of drafted men.
Col. Titus wanted to take the colors home. The line officers objected to it and it cut the Col. Severely.

Thursday, July 23, 1863 - Warm. Marched to near Rectorville, AM and put up tents. At one PM, marched till 9 or 10 PM to near Barber's Crossroads. Had a tedious time finding camp.

Friday, July 24, 1863 - Warm. Marched at 4 Am without breakfast for 3 or 4 miles. Got breakfast and went to Ashby's estate at Manasses Gap, & near the property of a son of Chief Justice Marshall. A brother in the rebel army, a col., was killed in the late battle at Gettysburg.
Left Manasses Gap about 6 PM and marched till dark in the direction of Warrenton. Gen. Lee has fallen back towards Warrenton.
The march was a tiring one.

Saturday, July 25, 1863 - Warm. Marched at 7 AM. Passed through Orleans and to within two or three miles of Warrenton and stopped about 6 PM. We hear rumors that Charleston is taken!! Rained hard at night.

Sunday, July 26, 1863 - Warm. Did not move! Have seldom seen the time when rest was so acceptable to me as it is today. We are all tired and worn out. We can hear firing to the south of us. Lt. Wilson returned to the regiment this PM.

Monday, July 27, 1863 - Warm. Had a brigade inspection by Capt. Truesdell which was interrupted by the rain. Moved camp a little ways and into the woods. Rained hard just at night.

Tuesday, July 28, 1863 - Warm and had a shower. Policed the camp. Penfield & Dicky came up.

Wednesday, July 29, 1863 - Warm. Rained in the night. AM officer of the day. Had the color line cleared and some work done on the streets and the left of the reg't.

Thursday, July 30, 1863 - Cloudy & rained some. Made the monthly report. Received orders and made out Uriah Turner's descriptive list.

Friday, July 31, 1863 - Warm. Did some policing. (the first week of August was apparently spent fixing the camp.)

Saturday, August 8, 1863 - Warm. Visited Mr. Ashton's & Mr. Kemper's, both strong secessionists.

Sunday, August 9, 1863 - Hot. Am still in camp. On leaving Mr. Kemper's this evening after dark with milk, Miss K(emper) wished the guerrillas would catch me before I got to camp. (Through the rest of August, the army drilled, policed camp, checked rosters, went on picket duty, and wrote letters.)

Tuesday, September 16, 1863 - Warm and pleasant. Receie=ved orders at noon to move an started at 1 PM. Went to near White Sulfur Springs and camped for the night.

Wednesday, September 16, 1863 - Warm and pleasant. Stared at 5 Am and passed through White Sulfur Springs, Jeffersonville, Crossed Hazle Run (fording it) and to Stone House Mountain, a distance of about 15 miles and camped. White Sulfur Springs has been a beautiful place.

Thursday, September 17, 1863 - A rainy day. Lay in camp at Stone House Mountain. Heard fighting all day.

Friday, Sept. 18, 1863 - Cool. Did not move. Heard fighting on the Rapidan.

Saturday, Sept. 19, 1863 - Rode to Centerville (with) Lt. Howard (&) Capt. Platt. Had a high time. Centerville has been a lively town but like most places in this country is dead & inhabited by secessionists.

(From Sunday, Sept. 20 to Sept. 30, 1863, little of importance happened.)

Thursday, Oct. 1, 1863 - Cool. Broke camp in the evening and marched at 11 PM from Stonehouse Mountain. Passed through Culpepper. It commenced raining soon after we passed Culpepper.

Friday, Oct. 2, 1863 - A very rainy day. Continued the march during the night and stopped two hours about 9 AM for breakfast. Passed Rappahannock Station & stopped for the night near Bealeton Station. It has rained hard most of the day and the wind blew a gale during the night.

Saturday, Oct. 3, 1863 - Pleasant. Marched about 8 AM. Passed Warrenton Junction and stopped for dinner at Catletts Station. The 1st Brigade went into camp, PM.

Sunday, Oct 4, 1863 - Cool. All worked at gathering material from the old camps and putting up tents. Had an inspection. (Thus, once more the Army of the Potomac is back in the same camps they have in other years).

Monday, Oct. 5, 1863 - Cold. Went on picket. Went through the ceremony of Grand Guard Mounting for the first time. The picket line was established and it took until 4 Pm to complete the line. I am at the Cedar Run R.R. bridge in a good two story block house. I have 40 men. 195 men & 8 officers are out form the 122nd, 24 form Co. A.

Friday, Oct. 9, 1863 - Pleasant. Daniel Rowley of Co. B was to have been shot this PM. The order for the suspension of the execution came while we were on the way to the field. Attended a flag raising at Brigade Hd. Qr. (in the) PM. Several officers of the brigade became fuddled.

Saturday, Oct. 10, 1863 - A fine day. The regiment was out on picket for 24 hours. AM officer of the day and up most of the night.

Sunday, Oct. 11, 1863 - Pleasant but cool. Started at 9-1/2 PM for Warrenton Junction for a three days picket tour. Found a large number of loaded cars and guarded them Everything seems to be in confusion here. Hospitals, stores of all kinds, contrabands lying in all directions. Fighting is going on along the Rappahanock.

Monday, Oct. 12, 1863 - Cool & pleasant. Formed the picket reserve. Heavy firing is heard along the river. Cavalry men come in singly and in squads and make all kinds of reports. An attack is expected on the trains every moment.

Tuesday, Oct. 13, 1863 - Cold and pleasant. At 2 AM the rest of our brigade came up from Catletts and the wagon trains commenced passing about 4 AM and pass in two columns all day and part of the day in three. About 8 AM, the first part of the first Corps commenced to arrive, batteries went into position and lines of battle were formed to resist any attempt to take the trains. The last cars left early in the morning consisting of 7 heavy trains.
At 5 PM we started for Kettle Run and made the slowest and one of the most tedious marches that I have known. The night was cold and we arrived at 3 Wednesday morning occupying 10 hours in making (a) 4 hours march.

Wednesday, Oct. 14, 1863 - Arrived at Kettle Run at 3 O'clock AM and left at sunrise for Centerville, passing Manasses Junction. There was fighting at Kettle Run most of the day. The rebels were repulsed at every attack and we took 5 guns & about 500 prisoners.
The regiment went out on the Big'r Run road on picket. This is the 5th night in succession that I have been on duty.

Thursday, Oct. 15, 1863 - Moved about 7 AM to near Chantilly. There is sharp fighting today.

Friday, Oct. 16, 1863- Lay at (Chantilly?) on the field expecting an engagement. There is fighting towards Manasses Junction.

Saturday, Oct. 17, 1863 - The conscripts dug a line of rifle pits in front of the line. Men are kept close so as to be ready for any emergency. There was an alarm just at night. Rainy, PM. Hear firing in the distance.

Sunday, Oct. 18, 1863 - Lay in camp all day.

Monday, Oct. 19, 1863 - A heavy rain in the morning. Broke camp at 4 AM and moved at 8-1/2 AM over wet and muddy roads and numerous streams, all swollen, to Gain(e)sville. There has been firing in front. We got under arms and started out just at night, but went back and rested for the night. I am told confidentially that a heavy battle is expected tomorrow. We have moved down obliquely onto the right wing of the reb army & are to attack them in the morning.
Lt. Col. Dwight is rather spiny this evening. I hope he will by (be) right tomorrow.

Tuesday, Oct. 20, 1863 - Pleasant. Got under arms at 5 Am & remained till after sunrise. Then got breakfast and started soon after 7 o'clock. We are now on the way to the expected fight. May all result well.
Just after I wrote the above we heard a rumor that Gen. Lee has fallen back across the Rappahannock and destroyed the R.R. bridges, culverts, etc., carrying off the rails. We marched to New Baltimore, 9 miles, and camped for the night. At sunset, the general sounded and we started for Warrenton, where we arrived at 9-1/2 PM & bivouacked for the night.

Wednesday, Oct. 21, 1863 - Lay at Warrenton all day. Went into camp & commenced cleaning up and building. We are on the ground occupied nearly a year ago by the 14 N.Y.V. Men found tobacco in Warrenton. It has been scarce for several days and now there is a great rush for it.

Thursday, Oct. 22, 1863 - Pleasant. Men are improving their first opportunity for some time to wash. At 12 AM moved 4 or 5 miles & went into camp on the S.E. slope of water Mountain.

Saturday, Oct. 24, 1863 - A very rainy day. AM officer of the day & AM obliged to be around in the rain all day. My feet are as wet as can be.
Drawing clothing & it is very much needed. Are under orders to be ready to move at any moment.
Lt. Col. Dwight informed me that he intends to recommend me for promotion to be Captain of Co. K. I told him that I preferred to stay where I am.

Sunday, Oct. 25, 1863 - Cold. Had inspection. Received notice that I am detailed on a Court Martial to be convened at Brigade Head Quarters at 10 Am tomorrow, the 26th inst.

Monday, Oct. 26, 1863 - Cold & unpleasant. Court Martial adjourned till tomorrow at 10 PM.
Gen. Kilpatrick is reported to have been killed today.

Tuesday, Oct. 27, 1863 - Cold. A detail of 150 men went on picket for 3 days. Court Martial adjourned till 10 Am tomorrow as no business is ready for the day.

Wednesday, Oct. 28, 1863 - Cool. Serg't Waterhouse of the Ambulance Corps was tried for breaking into a box of medical stores.

Friday, Oct. 30, 1863 - Court Martial adj(ourned) till Monday next. Went to Pettit's Battery & had a pleasant visit.

Saturday, Oct. 31, 1863 - The regiment was mustered by Col. Cross.

Friday, Nov. 6, 1863 - Am still on Court Martial. Lieut. McDonald's case was commenced.
In the evening, received orders to move at early daylight.

Saturday, Nov. 7, 1863 - A cool day. Broke camp at Water Mountain (near Warrenton) and marched soon after daylight. Moved rapidly, arriving at Rappahanock Station about 2 PM (15 miles) and formed in lines of battle. Adj. Gen. Room ordered Lt. Col. Dwight to send two good companies in command of the Captain who knew his duty & would do it best. (Companies) A & G were sent & I was put in command. Then I (company) was sent. I & G were on my left. We advanced and soon saw the reb skirmishers, advanced & received their fire. Returned it, wounding one reb mortally and rushed on. The rebs ran to their rifle pits & from there with strong lines kept up a sharp fire. Artillery opened on both sides which did us some damage. We advanced to 150 yards of the pits without protection. Bartlet's brigade of the 1st Division charged the works gallantly and took them just at dark with 1600 prisoners including 103 commissioned officers. Corp. James G. Elliott was severely wounded. W. Haynes & W.H. Case were slightly wounded.

Sunday, Nov. 8, 1863 - Last night we remained on the field as skirmishers and were relieved at daylight & found the regiment deployed away below the station. Moved about noon to the station to hold the works.

Monday, Nov. 9, 1863 - Very cold & windy. Our men worked at turning the works (to face the enemy) that we took Saturday.

Wednesday, November 11, 1863 - Left Rappahannock Station at 8 AM and marched to the right of Brandy Station and camped.

Sunday, Nov. 15, 1863 - Rainy. Learned that Corp. James G. Elliott died last Monday, on the cars while being conveyed to Washington.
Wilson went on picket with a detail from the reg(iment) for two days.

Monday, Nov. 16, 1863 - The regiment received pay for Sept. & Oct. sent a check for two hundred dollars to P. L. Perine.

Tuesday, Nov. 17, 1863 - Pleasant. Was detailed as officer of the day and was relieved as there was an order reassembling the Court Martial. The Court adjourned as there was no place to meet.
Wrote James Elliott of Corp. Elliott's death.

Wednesday, Nov. 18, 1863 - Pleasant. The Court Martial completed the case of Lieut. McDonald.

Thursday, Nov. 19 , 1863 - Pleasant. AM still on Court Martial.

Friday, Nov. 20, 1863 - Pleasant. The Corps was reviewed at 11 AM by Maj. Gen Sedgewick & 4 English officers.

Saturday, Nov. 21, 1863 - Rained all day. Disposed of two cases on the Court Martial.

Sunday, Nov. 22, 1863 - A lovely day. Inspected the company.

Monday, Nov. 23, 1863 - Pleasant. Court Martial disposed of one case and commenced another. Received order to be ready to move at early daylight.
I received a commission as captain in the 122 N.Y.V. Sold the contents of a box sent for Corp. Jas. G. Elliott and received $20.08 for which I am to account to his father.

Tuesday, Nov. 24, 1863 - Rainy in the morning, in consequence of which the army did not move. Court Martial met & another man received the sentence of the severe penalty of the law.

Wednesday, Nov. 25, 1863 - Court met and disposed of one case. Are under orders to be ready to march at daylight. Went to Division Head Quarters and was mustered in as captain by Capt. A. J. Smith, mustered from Nov. 1st.

Thursday, Nov. 26, 1863 - The weather is not favorable. Were ordered to move at 6 AM. Left Camp about 8 (AM), passed Brandy St(ation) and made a slow tiresome march & crossed the Rapidan at Germanna Mills and bivouacked about 9 AM.

Friday, Nov. 27, 1863 - Lay in bivouack until about 2 PM and moved out into the field. One division of the 3rd Corps was repulsed & the 1st of the 6th (Corps) drove back the rebs after a sharp little fight.

Saturday, Nov. 28, 1863 - Rainy Moved at 1AM in a south westerly direction through or in the "wilderness". There was fighting occasionally all day. Stopped for the night near Robert's Tavern.

Sunday, Nov. 29, 1863 - The army seems to be taking position for a great conflict. The 3rd Division was detached from the Corps and sent from the extreme right to the left with the 2nd Corps. Occasional fighting all day. Stopped at Whitehall? Church for the night after being changed around a good deal. Grew cold all day. The night was freezing cold.

Monday, Nov. 30, 1863 - Marched at 1 Am, taking the plank road in the direction of Gordonsville some distance. Then south to our extreme left. Halted at 4 PM and at daylight moved to the front and took position in line of battle. Lively skirmishing was soon commenced along the line & the rebs opened a masked gun on us. The first fire killed several of the 23rd Pa. There was considerable firing along the line but no general engagement, I think. We were not allowed to have fire until after noon. The ground was frozen and it froze all day except in the sun. We were obliged to lie down & we all suffered much with the cold. At dark (we) marched back to the plank road.

Tuesday, Dec. 1, 1863 - Lay in the woods near the front all day and started at 9 PM - marched towards Fredericksburgh along the Plank Road for several miles. Then went to the left, marching all night. Our army was evidently falling back.

Wednesday, Dec. 2, 1863 - Cold. Recrossed the Rappidan about daylight and rested till 11 Am and then marched in the direction of Brandy Station. Had a hard march and halted about 8 PM about 3 or 4 miles from the Station. The Division became badly mixed and our regiment became divided. We were bivouacked in a muddy wet place. The evening was very dark, making hard marching through woods & brush and over & through ditches & mud.

Thursday, Dec. 3, 1863 - Cold. Started early and went to the camp that was left one week ago, a tried (tired?) set of men. Had orders not to fix up much.

Friday, Dec. 4, 1863 - Cold. Are under orders to be ready to march at short notice.

(Despite the above orders, the army moved no more for the rest of the year. Captain Clapp spent much of his time in Court Martials and made no entries at all during the final week in December. The Mine Run Campaign was Meade's last independent move before Gen. Grant was called east to take command of all the armies of the United States. The Mine Run Campaign seems to have been Characterized by a slowness in closing with the enemy, and an eagerness to get away from the enemy. Due to the slowness in closing, Lee had time to set a trap for Meade's army. Warren detected this trap and canceled a scheduled attack. Meade then pulled back quickly. )