City of Danbury Seal


Danbury City Seal
When Governor Morgan Bulkeley, on April 19, 1889, signed the document making the City of Danbury official, plans were almost immediately initiated to draft a city seal. Alderman James Walsh made the suggestion in May of that year and Henry Hoyt, a member of the committee, came up with the design.

A locomotive, depicting the railroad line established in 1852 is shown on the left side of the shield within the outer ring. On the right side is a stand of elm trees, in reference to Elmwood Park, and below the trees is water, symbolizing the flood caused by the breaking of the Kohanza Reservoir dam in 1869. A derby hat, symbolizing the City's hat manufacturing industry, is in the upper right hand corner of the shield. In the lower left is the Wooster Monument.

There are two references on the seal to the British burning of Danbury in 1777. The central motto, on a diagonal band which divides the seal, is "Restituimus" or "We have Restored". Underscoring this point, atop the shield, is a phoenix rising from a fiery crown. The bird has in its beak a second motto, "Perege Modo", translated from the Latin as "Ever Onward" or Let Us Go Forward".

The outer circle has the words "Seal of the City of Danbury, incorporated 1889."

This file was "borrowed" from the City of Danbury web site and altered slightly.

Return to Wooster and Jennings Genealogy Page

File "borrowed" December 19, 1999.
File modified: December 18, 2002.
Kenneth Jennings Wooster